Sunday, September 2, 2007

Fossil Springs Adventure

This last weekend, Kaylee and I went to Fossil Springs with our friends Brock and Tara. What an adventure! I had so much fun the entire day. The 6.6 mile round trip hike was well worth the destination. Our adventure included 2 rope swings, cliff jumping, a hidden cave behind a waterfall, an underwater tunnel leading to an opening in a hollow rock, and a water filled cave that was entered by riding the raging water currents. The best part was that I got to share this trip with my beautiful wife and the best man of my wedding and his wife!

Background:

The following background of Fossil Springs comes from the Coconino National Forest website:
http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/coconino/recreation/red_rock/fossil-spgs-wild.shtml

"This 11,550 acre Wilderness boasts what has been described as the most diverse riparian area in Arizona. Over thirty species of trees and shrubs and over a hundred species of birds have been observed in this unique habitat. The stream seems to appear out of nowhere, gushing 20,000 gallons a minute out of a series of springs at the bottom of a 1,600 foot deep canyon. Over the years these calcium laden waters have laid down huge deposits of a material called travertine. That rock-like substance encases whatever happens to fall into the streambed - forming the fossils for which the area is named."

Directions:

To get to Fossil Springs take the B-Line highway (AZ HW 87) to Payson. From Payson go north on HW 87 to Strawberry. Turn left on Fossil Springs Rd (FR 708 at the Strawberry Lodge) and go west for 5 miles to the trailhead. At the trailhead do not stop with all of the other cars but vere right and go another mile down the road. This will save you a total of two miles (round trip) of hiking along a road that you can drive on.

This was the coolest rope swing because after I let go of the rope I fell another ten feet into the mists of the waterfall.

This is the underwater tunnel leading to an opening in a hollow rock. There is a rope that helped guide me through.

This is Kaylee showing off her skills at the first rope swing that we came across.

If you look closely you can see Brock and Tara in the water filled cave.

Kaylee and I at the top of the hiking trail.

A picture showing the pure glass-like spring water.

A map of Fossil Springs from the National Forest website.

2 comments:

Scott A. said...

Awesome! I'm glad you found that second rope swing. I heard about that and the tunnel after we went last year with the scouts.

Everything sounded like great fun.

Conor said...

Brock and Tara?? The Brock? This is all crazy...everyone is married!!